Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Fools ... The Joke's On Me Today

It's become apparent that the joke's on me this April Fools day.  Please indulge me as I recap the highlights of the day thus far.

To preface things ... I handle all of the middle of the night duties in caring for Lucas.  This is in large part due to the fact that I'm the one that wakes up with every peep he makes.  Typically it's not so bad because once I feed him in the early hours, I typically still can get a few more hours of sleep afterwards.  This unfortunately hasn't been the case today.

Don't let the cuteness fool you ... he may be lovable but
he's got his parent's sense of shenanigans!
2:30AM

Lucas isn't just fussing but screaming like he's on fire!  He's obviously missing his pacifier, but I don't think that's the entirety of it.  Earlier this week he woke up in the middle of the night screaming like this.  Not sure if it was gas or a nightmare or what but he was all kinds of upset.  I re-wrapped his blanket and decided to put him in his car seat (aka the baby bucket) with an extra blanket padding underneath him to make it extra cozy.  As hoped for he finally falls back asleep around 3AM, but now I'm wired and wide away ... and after only about 3 hours of sleep.

5AM

The mini one wakes up hungry.  This was at least expected as he's developed a pretty regular schedule.  Had a bottle ready to go.  4 ounces down ... time to burp ... only he doesn't exactly want to burp.  He finally gives me a little burp and a bit of spit-up and proceeds to fall asleep on my chest.  I've found with him in these circumstances that sometimes if you have him positioned on your chest just right he'll eventually just burp on his own.  I'm thinking let's hope this works again.

6:30AM

Still no decent burp, though I do admit that I've enjoyed the last hour with Lucas sleeping on me.  Unfortunately, this is the closest I'd come to getting more sleep today - resting on the couch with my mini man.  At this point now he starts to fuss because he'd lost his pacifier again.  With him on me though, I have absolutely NO clue where it'd fallen to.  While trying my best to find it, he wakes back up.  UGH.

Sit him back up.  Re-wrap his blankets.  Decide to try putting him back in the baby bucket.  Maybe he'll sleep there again.

6:40AM ... and every 10 minutes to follow until 8AM

Up to now things haven't been that unusual.  At this point though, almost like clockwork every 10 minutes ...  baby loses pacifier.  Baby fusses.  Daddy inserts pacifier.  Baby sleeps 10 minutes.  Lather rinse repeat.  I suspect someone is teaching him how to troll his parents.  Perhaps the cats.

8:30AM

Time for another feeding.  By this time, Crystal is awake and in the middle of the first pumping of the day.  I get a bottle ready and start feeding Lucas.  She finishes pumping and takes over in the middle of things.  Perhaps a chance now for me to get some extra sleep?

9AM

Crawled back into bed hoping for an hour or so of sleep.  Dog decides he wants in on this too ... who am I to argue?  Baby is in the living room with Crystal.  He decides he's not wanting to sleep or cooperate at all.  Crystal's trying anything she can think of.  I'm lying in bed thinking about how to solve this problem and maybe get mister "I don't want to sleep again today" to sleep.  We've had luck when working in the office in the basement the last few days with him sleeping in the baby bucket.  Is there something different down there why it works there better than upstairs?

THE SPACE HEATER!  It's a source of white noise!  I yell out to Crystal about my idea.  She grabs her phone, hops on YouTube and finds a 14 hour space heater white noise video.  In minutes he's asleep.  Will it last?


10AM

No.  I've not yet got any extra sleep, but I've at least rested a bit.  Get up, put on pants, make breakfast.

11AM

After various attempts to get Lucas to sleep ... all of which failed ... I was left with only one option.  The tried and true guaranteed to work but also guaranteed to mean I won't be accomplishing anything for a while ...

Lucas wants a people.

Pick him up and cuddle him in my arms.  Two minutes later ... ZZZZZZZZ ...

11:45AM

Baby still sleeping in my arms.  WOOT!  Or should I say TOOT!  Lucas lets rip something that would embarrass most adults.  Yay for less gas in the baby, but that sounded like it could be something more.  He's due to eat anyway so I decide let's wake the sleeping baby to check his butt and feed him.

ANOTHER FIRST

We've achieved another milestone this morning.  Lucas' first explosive poop!  This didn't come up and out the back though.  Nope!  This traveled up the front and out!  I announce the joyous occasion to Crystal and ask her to get a bath running.  I stripped him down at the tub and washed him off.  Little man loves the water so thankfully no complaints from him.  New diaper, clothes, blanket.  We're good to go.

12 Noon

Another feeding & burping.  Put him down in the napper.  Maybe he'll stay calm for a bit?  Maybe even sleep?  Crystal and I find some lunch for ourselves.  Managed to swallow a sandwich in time for the fussing to start back up.  Time to pick him up again.  Will I ever get to work on anything today?

1:30PM

He's finally calmed down somewhat for now.  We've ventured into the basement office to attempt doing something productive.  As I write this though, whatever gremlin that has crawled inside my son today has returned.

2:30PM

We decide to advance the next feeding.  He's been eating around 3 to 3.5 hours.  We're thinking maybe he's hungry.  Fingers crossed.  They don't give you a manual when they're born.  It's a lot of trial and error while you figure each other out.  I keep in mind often that the rules change too.  Just as you think you've got them figured out, they'll throw you a curve ball.

Here's to hoping things calm down the rest of today.  I'd really love it if my infant would decide to sleep today.  Maybe I might be able to sneak in a nap too.

No comments:

Post a Comment